AVNIK Senior Software Safety Engineer
Location: Huntsville, AL, Redstone Arsenal
Schedule: Full Time
Job Description: AVNIK is seeking Senior Engineers/Scientists for Airworthiness Safety with 10+ years’ Software System Safety experience to support the current and evolving Software System Safety program for the Systems Simulation Software Integration (S3I) Directorate within the US Army Combat Capabilities Development Command (CCDC), Aviation & Missile Center (AvMC).
At AVNIK, we're different! We work hard and have a blast doing it. We hire experts. We have superb benefits and quality of life is non-negotiable.
As a member of our Software System Safety team, you'll interface with the customer and be charged with conducting the Safety Assessment Process on Civil Airborne Systems and Equipment. The successful candidate must be well versed in SAE ARP 4761, with demonstrated working knowledge of System/Software Safety requirements, MIL-STD-882E, MIL-STD 498, DO-178C, DO-254, JSSSEH, AMCOM REG 385-17, and SAE ARP 4754 Guidelines and Methods for Conducting the Safety Assessment Process on Civil Airborne Systems and Equipment. You’ll use your interpersonal skills to develop lasting relationships with internal AED personnel as well as external organizations and PM stakeholders.
The position will include collaboration within a team environment while emphasizing individual contributions to produce products that are valuable to the customer. Candidates must have good people skills and the desire to work with a highly technical team of functional experts. Must be adept at developing requirements from customer feedback and communicate requirements effectively.
Education Requirements: Applicants must have a minimum of an accredited Bachelors of Science (BS) in Engineering or Computer Science, or similar degree field and a minimum of 10 Years’ experience. Advanced degree a plus.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities of the Software System Safety Engineer:
- Self-starter that can work with limited supervision and guidance
- Support functional engineering teams
- Identify and eliminate safety hazards associated with all development activities throughout the entire program/product lifecycle in support of the customer
- Perform review and analysis of engineering design concepts; investigate and analyze relevant engineering data potentially affecting safe operation of the product and its processes
- Analyze planning documents and develop S/W safety engineering approaches to meet customer and other applicable requirements
- Experience performing complex Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) and Hazard Assessments (HAs) is highly desirable
- Efforts include: engineering analysis of systems to identify and eliminate safety software hazards, integrated hazards analysis, inputs to the software safety testing requirements as well as software verifications, systematic application of safety policies to the design of human-rated hardware, and assistance in the overall implementation of safety practices for systems/subsystems
- Experience performing analyses in accordance with SAE ARP 4761 and familiarity with Mil-STD-882E is required. These include the Preliminary System Safety Analysis (PSSA), Common Cause Analysis (CCA), Zonal Safety Analysis (ZSA), Functional Hazard Analysis (FHA), System Safety Analysis (SSA), Failure Modes and Effect Analysis (FMEA), and Fault Tree Analysis (FTA)
- Strong verbal and written skills to support interaction with customers:
- Lead meetings and document meetings minutes
- Capture and track action items to closure, and writing reports, etc.
- Develop courses of action, briefings, and present customer briefings
- Ability to perform as part of multi-disciplinary Aviation team/IPT/Working Groups
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office Suite programs to provide charts, graphs, data analysis and technical/engineering inputs.
- Strong interpersonal skills and reporting practices
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills; ability to clearly express ideas/concepts in discussions and written documents and to deliver regular updates and feedback clearly and tactfully.
- Ability to travel at least 10% for meetings and flight tests.
- US Citizenship and US SECRET Clearance
Desired Abilities: Experience with US Army Aviation aircraft systems
To apply for this position, click the button below to fill out the online application and submit your resume.
AVNIK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and offers a competitive salary/benefits package. Salary commensurate with experience and education.
AVNIK Contact Information: email@example.com for Questions Call: 256.217.5870